Lior Lapid,Â 2008 New Mexico State Chess Co-Champion and Las Cruces resident has won clear first in the Southern Rocky FIDE Open, held Feb 25-27.
This was an excellent result for Lapid, coming in ahead of two grandmasters and two international masters.
The prize winners were:
- 1st – Lior Lapid – $1000
- 2nd & 3rd – Steven Zierk and Mikheil Kekelidze – $450 each
- 1st U2400, U2200 – Benjamin Coraretti & Alfonso Vega – $200 each
- 1st U2000 – Kesav Viswanadha – $200
- 2nd U2000 – Jeff Serna – $90
- 2nd U2200, 3rd U2000 – Sam Dooley, Cesar Guevarra, Silas Perry, Tres Roring, Donald Harvey, John Flores, Jeff Csima, Wayne Hatcher, Dante Archuleta, Curtis Cooper, Brian McNiece – $11.36 each
Lior kindly submits his last round game from the event with notes: